Image Gallery of Tiracol Fort Goa, India
Also known as Terekhol Fort, Tiracol Fort is situated on the northern tip of Goa, by the side of River Tiracol. Tourists can reach this fort via a ferry which can be boarded from Querim. It is at a distance of about 42 km from Panaji.
Originally, the fort was built in the 17th century by the Raja of Sawantwadi, Maharaja Khem Sawant Bhonsle. This fort was strategically selected, as it gave an imposing view of the Arabian Sea. There were native vessels at the River Tiracol; along with these, fort also had 12 guns, a barrack and a chapel.
However, after a war between the Maharaja and the Portuguese, this fort came under the control of the later in 1746. Later in 1764, it was renovated and eventually became an inevitable part of their marine defenses. And in 1961, this fort came under the Government of India.
This fort has been a symbol of freedom struggle of Goan and has witnessed many demonstrations at various point of time. During the Civil war, in 1825, it was used for an uprising against the Portuguese.
In 1954, Satyagrahis, opposing the Portuguese rule, also used this fort as one of their demonstration place. They had used three different directions to enter Goa, one of which was the Tiracol Fort. Later they had flown the Indian Flat at the fort, before being imprisoned.
Now the fort is converted into a hotel, namely the Fort Tiracol Heritage, offering visitors modern luxury with a historical touch.