Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary Goa Entry Fee
- 20 per person for Adults
- 10 per person for Children
- 30 for Still Camera
- 150 for Video Camera
Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary Goa Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 13 reviews
Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary Goa Address: Canacona Taluka, Khotigao, Goa, 403702, India
Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary, set up to preserve the biodiversity of Goa, is among the greenest wildlife sanctuaries in India. It’s off the beaten track, and it’s a veritable feast for nature lovers.
The sanctuary is home to tall, dense and lush deciduous trees. You can take nature walks or trek through the thick jungles and be close to mother nature. Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary Goa is famous for its numerous hiking trails.
Many trees reach up to 30 meters, creating a green canopy and completely shading the area. You can get a splendid view from the tree-top watchtowers.
The sanctuary is also home to wildlife species like gazelles, flying squirrels and hyenas. You’ll find a wide variety of birds, too.
Stay in a watchtower or a camp overnight and have a fun time away from the beaches.
Where is Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary in Goa?
Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary is in Canacona, South Goa. The magnificent trees and the bright, chirping birds make this a popular tourist spot. And the location of Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary in Goa makes it a great destination for a day trip.
Things to do in Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary Goa
1. Going for a nature walk – Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the few protected areas that allows you to explore the region on foot. You’ll get scenic views of the mountains and a few snakes, squirrels and monkeys occasionally. It has several tall trees and rare plants creating a green foliage. The sanctuary also has a Butterfly Park with a variety of lovely butterflies.
2. Hoping on a private safari – Private vehicles are allowed inside the wildlife sanctuary. And you can take them for a drive (with an accompanying forest guard) to see the wildlife. The sanctuary is home to hyenas, sloth bears, gazelles and many other animals and birds.
You’ll enjoy the drive on a dirt track through the dense forest. The safari also gives you the opportunity to see the attractions like the tree-top watchtowers, Bela Lake and small streams.
3. Hiking into the forest – Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary Goa has several hike-worthy trails to explore. Take a forest guard to help you spot the animals through their pugmarks. You might also meet the members of the Kunbil and Velip tribes living in the forest during your hike.
For the best chances of animal sighting, set off to a forest watchtower early in the morning. From the top, you can get a sweeping view of the lake where animals drink water.
4. Learning about flora and fauna – A small nature interpretation center at the sanctuary can tell you many facts about the sanctuary and the wildlife. It’s run by the forest department, and it has photos, displays and maps giving you an insight into the forest. It also has information about the history and establishment of the sanctuary. The center is a valuable repository of knowledge.
5. Visiting the waterfall in Kuskem – Besides dark forests, Cotigao has a secret monsoon water-fed waterfall, about 20 km from the sanctuary. This Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary waterfall is quite a sight to behold. Several disorderly creeks and green paddy fields accompany you to the falls.
6. Camping inside the sanctuary – Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary doesn’t have tourist cottages. But the staff can arrange tents and cots for overnight stays. You can even book a stay in the tree-top watchtower with prior permission from the office. There’s also a one-room resort about 2 km away from the sanctuary.
Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary Timings and Entry Fee
Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary opening time is from 7 AM to 5.30 PM daily. If you choose to stay on the forest grounds, you can explore the sanctuary even early in the morning. The best time to see wildlife species is at dawn when they come to the lake and other water sources.
Winter, from November to February, is the best season to explore the sanctuary. During these months, the weather is the most comfortable. Monsoon (around July-August) is also ideal.
The entry fee of Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary in Goa is ₹20 for adults and ₹10 for children. Camera fee is ₹30 for still camera and ₹150 for video camera. Private vehicles are charged extra at the sanctuary.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Wear light clothes.
- Pack a sweater (for overnight stays).
- Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Come equipped with essential gear (for trekking).
- Carry water and snacks while trekking.
- Take permission from the Panaji office for overnight stay.
- Order meals in advance at the local canteen.
How to reach Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary Goa?
Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary is in Canacona, South Goa. It’s 53 km away from Madgaon railway station and 59 km away from Margao bus terminal. From Goa airport in Dabolim, the sanctuary is 80 km away.
And here are the different ways to reach Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary Canacona –
By bike – Rental bikes are available in many areas of Goa. Take one for the day and explore Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary South Goa.
By taxi/cab – A private cab or taxi is the most convenient way to visit the sanctuary. You can hire a cab from the top car rental companies in Goa and enjoy a calming visit to the forests.
We at Goa Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, are dedicated to providing you with the best services so that you can have a hassle-free vacation. Our Goa tour packages are customizable to suit your budget, duration, and preferences, ensuring a personalized experience. Please fill the Contact Us form to get in touch with us.