Even though Goa is a Catholic majority state, it is not all about churches and chapels here. Those who visit this beach destination for Hindu religious tourism can also take a look at some of the temples that Goa is home to. Shri Mahalaxmi Temple in Bandora is one such shrine.
History Behind Shri Mahalaxmi Temple
This Hindu temple was established in the 19th century and was dedicated to the deity of Shri Mahalaxmi. Apart from the presiding deity, Shree Saunsthan Mahalaxmi temple also has the deities of Shree Narayan Purushram, Shree Narayan Dev, Shree Rawalnath and Shree Baleshwar.
The presiding deity at this temple is regarded as an incarnation of power and energy. According to folk mythology, Shri Mahalaxmi was released when the Hindu demons and gods churned the ocean in the hope of extracting the nectar of immortality or ‘amrit’ out of it.
Shri Mahalaxmi Temple Timings and Entry Fee
Also known as Shree Saunsthan Mahalaxmi, Mahalaxmi Temple is open on all days from 6 AM to 8:30 PM. There is no fee to enter the temple. However, donations are accepted. If you wish to attend the poojas or ceremonial worship, the morning worship is from 7 AM to 11:30 AM, the midday worship at 12 PM and the evening worship is at 8 PM.
Interesting Facts About Shri Mahalaxmi Temple
There are a number of things about this Hindu temple that will fascinate you:
- The premises of Mahalaxmi Devasthan offers a wedding hall service for the purpose of conducting Hindu rituals for marriage or any other occasion. The Mahalaxmi Hall has a capacity of 400 and has an adjoining buffet hall while the Rawalnath Hall can accommodate 250 people. The smallest hall is the Narayandev Hall, with a capacity of 200.
- If you have come from outside of Goa, you can also stay at Shree Saunsthan Mahalaxmi temple. Both air-conditioned and air-cooled rooms are available at a nominal cost of INR 25 per room per day. The rooms are furnished with the bare basics such as a bed, a mirror, a chair and a table.
- Within the temple complex, there is a canteen that serves vegetarian meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Teatime snacks are also available here.
- The temple has a website through which it live streams festival celebrations such as Navratri, Mahashivratri and Ram Navami and the visitation of the idol.
- For visitors who like collectibles, Shri Mahalaxi temple has a souvenir in the form of a book published by the temple itself. Priced at INR 60 per copy, this book was inaugurated on the day the idol was established at this temple. You can either purchase it at the temple or order it to be sent via post to your address. Please note that postage charges will be levied over and above the original price of the book.
How to Reach Shri Mahalaxmi Temple
Shri Mahalaxmi Temple or Mahalaxmi Devasthan is located in Ponda. You can reach the destination of Bandora in the following ways:
By Air: If you fly into the Manohar International Airport in Mopa, it will take you 1.5 hours to cover the 60 kilometers to get to the temple. The distance from the Dabolim Airport is 34 km and it takes 1 hour from there.
By Train: 22 km away, the nearest railway station to this temple is the Madgaon Railway Station. It will take around 45 minutes to reach Shri Mahalaxmi Temple from there.
By Bus: The nearest bus stop to Shri Mahalaxmi Temple is Ponda KTC Bus Stand which is 3 km away and a 7-minute drive. Most outstation buses stop at Ponda.
By Car: Reach out to one of the top car rental companies in Goa if you wish to be driven to the temple. You can also do a road trip in your own or hired car, with or without a driver.
By Bike or Scooty: If you prefer two wheelers instead, scooties are the best way to get around Goa. For a more powerful machine, a motorbike can also be rented in the state. Remember that you will need a two-wheeler license to be able to rent a scooty as a 4-wheeler license will not be enough.
Discover the top sightseeing places of Goa when you book a Goa tour package through us. At Goa Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, we have packages to suit every budget. For more details on the packages, please fill the Contact Us form and one of us will reach out to you.