Church of St. Cajetan Goa Entry Fee
- No entry fee
Church of St. Cajetan Goa Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 36 reviews
Church of St. Cajetan Goa Address: Velha Goa, Goa, 403402, India
What is a trip to Goa without a visit to a church? When you holiday in Old Goa, a stop at the Church of St. Cajetan will add another dimension to your holiday. Also known as the Church of Divine Providence, this Roman Catholic church has been in operation since 1661.
History Behind the Church of St. Cajetan
The Church of St. Cajetan was commissioned to be built by Italian monks who belonged to the Order of Theatines. While the construction began in 1655, it was ready only by 1661. Attached to the church is the Convent of St. Cajetan which is home to the Pope Pius X Institute – a place for the pastoral training of priests.
Church of St. Cajetan Timings & Entry Fee
The Church of St. Cajetan is open on all days of the week from 9 AM to 7 PM. There is no fee to enter this place of worship.
Interesting Facts About the Church of St. Cajetan
It is often trivia that excites us more about a place than its appearance. Here are a few facts that will whet your curiosity to visit the Church of St. Cajetan:
- This church is considered to appear similar to St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome and has a hemispherical dome.
- The church complex has an ancient arch which is thought to be a remnant of the Palace of Adil Shah who was the Sultan of Bijapur.
- The white church is made of blocks of laterite and plastered with lime.
- The gilded church interiors are full of intricate carvings that reveal Corinthian, Goan, Baroque and Rococo styles.
- The church exterior flaunts 4 pillars to support the cupola which has a Bible verse inscribed around it. This verse is from the Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 6 Verse 33: ‘Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you’.
- The construction of the church has a turbulent history which shows that the three Italian monks who came to India on the insistence of Pope Urban VIII were rejected by the locals multiple times before they could build the Church of St. Cajetan.
Places to Visit Near the Church of St. Cajetan
As the Church of Cajetan sits in the heart of Velha Goa, you can use your time to explore a few other places as well:
1. Sé Catedral de Santa Catarina: Just 400 meters away, this church can be freely visited on all days of the week from 7 AM to 6:30 PM. Also known as Se Cathedral, this church is part of ‘Churches and Convents of Goa’ – a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
2. Church of St. Francis of Assisi: A 7 minute walk away, this 17th-century church boasts a Baroque style of architecture. This church can be visited from Monday to Saturday from 9 AM to 5 PM.
3. Basilica of Bom Jesus: Almost 1 km from the Church of St. Cajetan, this basilica is home to the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier. This UNESCO-listed church is open from 8:30 AM to 8 PM on weekdays and 8 AM to 8:30 PM on weekends.
How to Reach the Church of St. Cajetan
The Church of Cajetan is located in Velha Goa, close to the Mandovi River. There are multiple ways to arrive here:
By Air: Both the Dabolim Airport and the newly opened Manohar International Airport in North Goa are around an hour’s journey away, the latter being closer to the church. You can fly into either of the international airports in Goa. After arriving at the airport, you can hire a private cab from top car rental companies in Goa to reach the church.
By Train: If traveling by train, alight at the Madgaon Railway Station in Goa which is around 40 km away from the Church of St. Cajetan.
By Bus: If you are arriving in Goa by bus, the Panaji KTC Bus Stand will only be 10 km away from the church, taking less than 20 minutes to reach by cab or 30 minutes by bus. You can further take a connecting local bus to Old Goa which is hardly a 10-minute walk from the church.
By Car: A popular and convenient way to arrive at the Church of St. Cajetan is to drive, especially if you are bringing your own car along.
By Bike or Scooty: Goa is famous for its bikes and scooters available on rent. This mode of transport is both flexible and helps you avoid any traffic jams as you can maneuver your way around.
To help you plan your Goa Tour in the best possible manner we at Goa Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA offer Goa Tour packages at budget prices. The package includes accommodation and a tour of all popular places to visit in Goa in the comfort of a private cab. To know more about our packages and existing deals, please fill the Contact Us form.